Find out how you can look after your new piercings in many different ways.
Did you get some new ear piercings done? They must be looking great. While they are painful to get, they are a true representation of your personality and thumbs up for you that you took this step.
However, your job doesn’t end here. Like any other beauty treatment, piercing requires lots of aftercare and attention. So, if you want your piercings to heal properly and stay safe from infections, you will have to take care of them for a few months.
Getting a piercing is similar to experiencing a wound but here your will is involved. So all the things you do to make sure your wound heals will do exactly that and more to save your piercings against any damage.
After you get your piercing, the majority of piercers will give you instructions and guidelines on how to look after your new additions. However, if your piercer didn’t help you in that matter, don’t panic.
We asked an expert load of questions on this matter, and we are here with all his answers and instructions. So, if you are unclear on how to take care of your piercings, read the information below.
Tips to Look After Your Piercings
Clean with Water and Soap
It is very important to clean your piercing every day for a month after getting one. However, by cleaning we do not mean simple water and soap wash. Follow the steps below to know how you should clean your piercings properly.
- Wash your hands properly with soap and water. This is vital to introduce any bacteria to your open wound and worsen its state.
- Dip a cotton ball in lukewarm water and clean away any accumulated crusties present at the piercing site. Don’t scratch any scab. Let the water wipe off all the unwanted bits in that area.
- Use unscented liquid soap and apply it to the wound and your jewellery. Clean both of them properly to clear off any bacteria or infection. Make sure you use High-quality soap that is both safe and effective to use.
- Make sure you rinse your piercing and jewellery several times during the day. This is important to keep the area and clean and regulate the process of healing.
You can follow the above tips daily for a month so that your piercings are safe and healthy.
Other Products You Can Use
If you aren’t satisfied with using water and soap to clean your piercing, you can always use the following products to do a similar job:
Most piercers recommend ointments to accelerate the healing and cleaning process of all kinds of piercings. However, avoid using unnecessary anti-bacterial creams that may worsen your skin rather than improving your wound.
- Emu Oil
This is a product of many fatty acids that are quite effective against pain and inflammation. It works quite magically against cleaning wounds and protecting your skin against infections. Emu oil is readily available and is the most suggested product by piercers from everywhere.
This is a sea salt saline that quickly soothes and heals a piercing. While it may be quite uncommon in the market, it is mostly available with well-reputed piercers around the globe.
Things you Should Avoid
Here are a few acts you should avoid after you get your nose or ear pierced:
- Avoid cleaning your piercing in a public bathroom. This is quite important to prevent any harmful bacteria from entering your wounds.
- Do not use rubbing alcohol on the pierced area. It will increase the pain and slow down the healing process.
- To reduce the risk of infection, don’t lie on the pierced area. This will prevent any moisture and bacteria from blocking the wound.
- Keep all harmful products like shampoos, hairspray or perfumes away from the pierced area.
- If you see any discoloured discharge coming out of your piercings, see a doctor immediately. Don’t self-treat it or wait for it to get worse.
To avoid getting unwell after a piercing, make sure you follow the tips above. Aftercare is important to ensure your wounds heal quickly and stay safe for as long as you want.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest GharPar articles, packages and deals.